Add your custom tagline here.

Legal risk for aldermen

LAUNCESTON aldermen risk Supreme Court action if they privately visit proposed developments or attend public meetings.
Nanjing Night Net

Tasmania’s planning laws lay down precise requirements that permit authorities must follow when determining developments or they face being challenged under the Judicial Review Act.

Legal advice recently prevented four Hobart aldermen from voting on a subdivision near Lady Franklin Museum after they attended a public meeting surrounding the divisive development.

Aldermen and councillors are free to inspect proposed development sites but doing so without following proper procedure, like being accompanied by a council officer, could lead to grounds for appeal in the Supreme Court.

Launceston aldermen regularly inspect proposed developments as a group chaperoned by council building officers.

“The onus is on individual aldermen to deal with a planning proposal on its planning merits within the requirements of applicable legislation,” council acting general manager Rod Sweetnam said.

“According to the government it’s more a case of doing everything right rather than doing anything wrong.

“I understand the challenges that arise when elected officials are required to balance their role as representative of the community and their statutory role to support the land use planning processes,” Minister for Planning and Local Government Bryan Green said.

“ All councils need to make sure that appropriate processes are in place and that decisions are transparent.”

The Hobart subdivision which highlighted the issue was later approved by Hobart City Council’s development and environmental services director after aldermen could not form a quorum.

The project, being undertaken by former state treasurer David Crean, will go before the council again on January 30.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

0
Read More

English TV presenter delves into Newcastle’s history

Tony Robinson was in Newcastle today.ENGLISH television presenter Tony Robinson was in Newcastle today, delving into some of the city’s fascinating history.
Nanjing Night Net

Tony Robinson’s Time Walks will feature on the History Channel next year and explores different Australian cities in 10 episodes.

The enthusiastic history buff, who has already travelled to Bendigo and Hobart, has a long-running program called Time Team.

The filming follows the success of Tony Robinson Explores Australia, which featured on Foxtel’s History Channel in June this year.

0
Read More

Continuing work required on StHelens barway

The St Helens barway was dredged recently, but it is unknown whether that was successful.THE St Helens barway is in reasonable condition but still requires ongoing maintenance, according to St Helens Barway Committee president John McGiveron.
Nanjing Night Net

The channel that runs alongside the rock wall was propeller-dredged three weeks ago, but it is unknown whether that made any substantial difference.

Mr McGiveron said the Pelican Point dredging in March last year made no significant difference.

“It’s pretty much back to the way it was before – that didn’t really solve the problem,” he said.

“It was meant to deepen the channel at Pelican Point but it had no real effect.

“The barway seems to be reasonably stable at this time, but we are still looking for ways to improve the situation.

“We are unsure as to what that work will be but we are not giving up on it.”

Mr McGiveron said the removal of 256,000 cubic metres of sand from behind Blanche Beach in August 2009 stabilised the situation.

“The barway for 18 months was the best it has been for a long time, so it did have an impact, but with the amount of sand there it may need additional work,” he said.

“People should keep it in mind that it will always be a barway and they will never be able to sail big boats or cruise ships in there even at the best of times.”

The sunken 17-metre scallop fishing trawler Anmaropa remains an obstacle but there is no urgency to remove it from the barway.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

0
Read More

Newcastle man stabbed in Bali

Kuta Beach in Bali.Two Australian men, including a Newcastle resident, were stabbed during a bar fight in Bali.
Nanjing Night Net

Jake Whitehead, of Newcastle, needed 20 stitches after he was slashed across the chest.

He said he was trying to protect a Balinese man, while inside the Bounty Discotheque near Kuta Beach on Friday.

The other Australian, who lives in Bali, was stabbed in the belly and is in a serious but stable condition.

0
Read More

Bikie had gun when shot dead in street

SYDNEY – Neal Todorovski armed himself with a loaded handgun moments before his murderer scrambled for his own gun and shot the Lone Wolf bikie dead in Sydney.
Nanjing Night Net

Police allege the 37-year-old and his fellow bikie members John Haper Leger, 32, and Matthew Edward Lewis, 23, were armed when they approached the man in Sans Souci on Wednesday.

Detectives are searching for a dark-coloured Land Rover, which they believe the shooter used to escape the scene.

Leger and Lewis appeared in Parramatta Bail Court yesterday charged with a number of offences including concealing a serious indictable offence.

According to a police statement of facts supplied by the court, Leger, Lewis and Todorovski’s wife were standing over his lifeless body when police arrived.

Lewis, an unemployed Queensland resident, refused to co-operate with police about what happened.

”I’m not telling youse (sic) nothing,” police allege Lewis said.

He was also charged with affray and gave a false name and birth date when first interviewed by police.

Leger allegedly told detectives: ”I’m telling you nothing.”

Police also charged Leger with affray and possessing or using a prohibited weapon without a permit.

The statement of facts alleges that Todorovski had a .22 calibre semi-automatic pistol, Leger had knuckledusters and Lewis had a kitchen knife with a 30 centimetre blade when they left Todorovski’s unit just before noon on Wednesday.

The trio had a brief conversation with a man standing next to the Land Rover, which was parked outside the unit.

Witnesses in the street told police Leger was wearing the knuckledusters when he struck the man in the head before Leger and Lewis continued to assault him. The man broke free, removed a handgun from the vehicle and fired numerous gunshots at the trio.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

0
Read More

Police warning after drug death

ADELAIDE – A 40-year-old South Australian man has died after overdosing on a new street drug, sparking fears that the substance will claim more lives.
Nanjing Night Net

Police say that methylenedioxypyrovalerone, or MDPV, has emerged on the local drug scene in the past few weeks and has been responsible for several overdoses, with some users experiencing severe psychosis.

MDPV is being sold on the streets as a cheaper form of amphetamines, but according to Detective Superintendent Des Bray it is much more potent, with some unusual effects.

Supt Bray said yesterday that as users began to come down from the drug, they were often overcome by the urge to take another dose, increasing the chance of an overdose or adverse reaction.

Some users had also engaged in bizarre behaviour, including ripping at their skin after hallucinating that they were covered in spiders or insects, or running around on rooftops.

On the street the drug is often referred to as Scat Cat, 666 or Meow-Meow.

The fatal overdose victim came from Murray Bridge, east of Adelaide. Police say that area appears to be a hot spot for MDPV distribution.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

0
Read More

Search for Malcolm Naden continues, firearms found

Two firearms have been recovered from a campsite, where a fingerprint was found belonging to fugitive Malcolm Naden.
Nanjing Night Net

New South Wales Police Force found the guns near where a shot was fired towards police, hitting an officer in the shoulder earlier in the month.

Search operation Commander, Assistant Commissioner Carlene York, addressed the media this morning with an update on the search for Naden.

Detectives from the Homicide Squad have been investigating Naden’s whereabouts under Strike Force Durkin.

Recently, their inquiries lead them to bushland near Nowendoc, on the Northern Tablelands.

Naden is wanted on warrants for the murder of a 24-year-old woman in Dubbo in June 2005 and an aggravated indecent assault against a girl. It is also believed he can assist police with their inquiries into the disappearance of a 24-year-old woman in Dubbo in January 2005.

Police have warned people not to approach Malcolm Naden under any circumstances and they believe he is armed.

A $250,000 reward has been issued for his capture and, since it was raised from $100,000, more than 70 calls have been received by Crime Stoppers.

0
Read More

Newcastle the victim of Sky Blues’ smash-and-grab job

Kasey Wehrman in action. Picture by Simone De PeakSydney FC defeated the Newcastle Jets 2-1 at Ausgrid Stadium.
Nanjing Night Net

SIXTY minutes had ticked by at Ausgrid Stadium, and the Newcastle Jets players were in cruise control. Too cruisy, as it turned out. They left the door ajar and paid the ultimate price.

Sydney FC were almost going through the motions to that point.

The odd shot here, a reasonable pass there, but nothing altogether brilliant. Then, against the run of play, Bruno Cazarine scored. A chill went through the majority of the 13,658 on hand.

Newcastle should have dug in, but they wilted. The result will show that Sydney won, but the truth is that the Jets lost. This was a smash-and-grab job. Recriminations on the Hunter will be scathing.

The Jets lost not only because they couldn’t defend a lead, but because they simply couldn’t defend. Young Taylor Regan and Tiago Calvano lost their bearings when the match was up for grabs. Tarek Elrich will cop an earful from Gary van Egmond over the opening goal for his positioning when dragged wide by Karol Kisel. It led to two tap-in goals.

Privately, Sydney officials were pleased to see Brisbane lose again during last week. They have a real belief they can go on to achieve a top-two finish. It’s hard to get one’s head around, but at the final whistle, the Sky Blues were two points from top spot. Why can’t they dream big?

Vitezslav Lavicka often criticises his team for their lack of finishing, but the strikers’ instincts of Cazarine and Juho Makela were razor sharp.

In most sports, Newcastle has a history of lifting in the presence of their city cousins but strangely not in football. The Jets have won three games against Sydney in six years. By half-time, it seemed they might pull one back.

Jeremy Brockie’s strike to give them the lead was a beauty. Ruben Zadkovich picked Michael Beauchamp’s pocket before racing down the line and crossing in before Terry McFlyn’s header looped up and into the New Zealander’s path. You’ll see his subsequent volley on highlight reels for years to come.

The Jets were well on their way to winning their fifth game in six matches at home – a necessity given their away form – until Cazarine’s goal. It provided a huge spark of confidence for the visitors. Makela came on and his impact was instant.

His direct running doesn’t always endear him, but it was standing still – and letting the Jets defenders run off him – that allowed him to nod home the winner. He ran to travelling supporters, and in an eerie repeat of his goal against Melbourne Victory last year, the fence collapsed under their weight.

Nobody was injured, but as final whistle blew soon after, a whole town was left to lick their wounds.

SMH

0
Read More

Ah McLean, you’ve done it again

THE composite team of David McLean (Sandy Bay), Mark Nitz (Burnie), Wayne Denny (Burnie) and Chris Dudman (Longford) won the BCIB Tasmanian Open Fours Championship in difficult conditions at Devonport yesterday.
Nanjing Night Net

They defeated Greg Douce, Daniel Baker, Joshua Baker and Rodney Horton 21-17.

After 15 ends of the 21-end game scores were level at 12-all. McLean then scored a one and a three to lead 16-12. Douce evened up the game with a four to make it 16-16.

McLean played the perfect running shot to take the kitty into the ditch and score a four for his team to lead 20-16 and closed out in the final two ends.

It is the third year on end that the same combination has won the title.

In the semi-finals Douce always had his hands full against Latrobe teammates Nick Smith, Chris Bannon and Philip Mundy, winning 23-20. The McLean combination always had control of its semi, winning 23-12 against Trevallyn.

In the singles Brodie Baker defeated Brian Goold 25-19 and David Genford played some telling drives to beat Tim Douce 25-17.

Michael Sims defeated Simon Zaporozec 25-10, John McKibben won 25-20 over Scott Summers, Andrew Whitmore was a little too strong for David Heron (25-21) and Shaun Graf defeated Phil Mundy 25-16.

Games continue today.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

0
Read More

Three generations of police Roses

THE REAL JOHN ROSE: John Rose (left) is congratulated by his father on graduating Police Academy. John will be the third man of that name to serve in the Newcastle area behind his father and grandfather. . GRANDFATHER: The late inspector John Rose. His grandson John Rose graduated from the police academy yesterday .
Nanjing Night Net

OF the 25 new police officers destined for Newcastle City local area command there is one with a name more familiar than most.

Constable John Rose, who graduated from the NSW police academy in Goulburn yesterday, will follow in the footsteps of his father and grandfather, both named John Rose, by working as a police officer in the Newcastle area.

The eldest John Rose worked out of Newcastle police station for 37 years and reached the rank of inspector while the middle John Rose was a senior constable at the now closed Hamilton police station for 10 years.

The eldest John Rose passed away in 1996 after a distinguished career, but his son said he would have been proud of one of the Northern Region’s latest recruits.

‘‘He would have been over the moon,’’ Mr Rose said.

‘‘John has always said from a young age that he wanted to be a police officer.

‘‘He saw photos of me and my dad in our uniforms and knew that’s what he wanted to be.’’

The John Rose name has spanned eight generations, but only the past three have joined the police force.

0
Read More