New Year’s Eve goes off with a bang at Launceston’s Royal Park.GREATER support from the Launceston City Council, local businesses and the community will be the key to the success of the New Year on Royal celebrations going into the future, according to organisers.
Nanjing Night Net

As the clean-up got under way yesterday, the event’s organising Festivale committee chairwoman Lou Clark said that despite a collective lack of sleep and sore feet it had been a great effort thanks to everyone who went out of their way to make it happen.

Reveller numbers at the event are believed to have surpassed the 5000 hoped to bring in the new year on the banks of the Tamar River.

Ms Clark said after the non-event of 2010, locals and visitors were only too happy to come out and support the celebrations and the committee had received a lot of positive feedback.

She said it was a not-for-profit committee which budgeted $165,000 for the event and expected to break even.

Ms Clark said the Launceston City Council contributed $30,000 and the remainder of the funds came from businesses, sponsorship and revenue raised at the gate.

“Council has supported us this year but we’ll need that kind of support to be ongoing and increased and hopefully we can get some more local businesses interested in supporting it,” Ms Clark said.

“We’ve had a lot of support from local businesses, even from contractors who have supported us in-kind.

“It’s a public holiday today (Sunday) and businesses have arranged to have their staff work on this event and that’s been great.”

Ms Clark would not be drawn on whether the committee would take on organising the event again this year and at the moment was only looking as far as Festivale in early February.

She said it did not seek funding from the state government because of the government’s financial woes and she believed it did not meet the government’s criteria for event funding.

Launceston Mayor Albert van Zetten said it was a fantastic evening; well organised, the crowd was well behaved and it was topped off with a great fireworks display.

Alderman Van Zetten said greater support of the event was something the council would look at in due course and discuss with the organisers.

He said he would be happy to talk to the state government if there was the possibility that funding could be secured for the event in the future.

Ms Clark said the highlight of the evening was the large fireworks display which capped off a night of great entertainment and it was nice to see many families soaking up the atmosphere with a picnic and local wines.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.