WELLINGTON – Aftershocks continuing to rattle Christchurch are showing no signs of letting up, with a quake measuring 4.8 hitting just before seven last night.
Numerous quakes shook the city yesterday, including one measuring 5.5 about 4am.
Power was cut to 10,000 homes in the east of the city for a few hours, before it was restored by mid-morning.
Quakes measuring greater than 3 and 4 on the Richter scale continued throughout the day.
There does not appear to be any new significant damage or liquefaction.
Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker said residents were concerned about the aftershocks and he is calling for an urgent briefing with GNS Science seismologists.
“Today I have fielded a lot of questions on seismic issues. Everywhere I go that’s what people are talking about,” Mr Parker said.
“I think it’s important that we hear from the scientists themselves on what’s happening and what’s the likelihood of further events.”
His plan for a forum for the city’s elected members, local MPs and the media is to take place on Friday afternoon.
Mr Parker said council facilities were being checked.
“It’s not a great start to a new year, but everyone is working hard to ensure we have a resilient and safe city in the future,” he said.
The city is still recovering from a magnitude 6.3 quake that killed 182 people on February 22 last year, following a 7.1 earthquake on September 4, 2010.
Christchurch was rocked by two quakes, measuring 6.0 and 5.8, two days before Christmas Day.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.