STALEMATE: Action from last night’s game.THE Newcastle Jets earned their first point away from home but wasted a golden opportunity to grab all three when held to a scoreles draw by a 10-men Adelaide United at Hindmarsh Stadium.

The draw ended a seven-game losing streak on the road for the Jets, dating back to last season, but it was only small consolation after they controlled large periods of the game, especially in the first half.

The Reds played the final 25 minutes down a man after Newcastle-born defender Nigel Boogaard was sent off for a second bookable offence when he disputed a handball call by referee Matt Gillett. He had early been given a yellow card for a clumsy challenge.

Despite the extra player the Jets were unable to break through.

Substitute Labinot Haliti went closest to snatching a match-winner for the visitors five minutes from time but his glancing header flashed past the left post.

In an action packed finish, Haliti had a call for a penalty turned down in the 86th minute and minute later Adelaide had a goal disallowed after substitute Favian Barbieri was ruled offside.

For the Jets, Matt Nash replaced Ben Kennedy (concussion) in goals, Brazilian defender Tiago returned for his first start since round four and Francis Jeffers was reinstalled at the point of the attack.

Adelaide had not lost since the the 7-1 thumping at the hands of Brisbane Roar in round four.

Like they did against the Roar, the Jets pressed high up the pitch and forced the Reds into error or to bomb long.

Adelaide were content to play on the counter attack and not surprisingly their best chance came from a Jets mistakes.

Nikolai Topor-Stanley got caught on the wrong side of Bruce Djite but Byun Sung-hwan made good ground from left back to block his shot.

The Jets have the worst record of any team in the second half this season.

They had Tarek Elrich to thank for staying on level terms four minutes after the resumption.

Djite played a clever through ball for Ramsay. The livewire attacker rounded Nash but Elrich made amazing ground to get back and clear the goal bound shot off the line.

The Reds were a different side after the break. They player with purpose and power.